It’s inevitable. Seemingly everyone comes down with the common cold during the winter months. Conventional medicine has little to treat it and we all just suffer through the runny nose, sneezing, fatigue and “tickly” throat.
But I don’t have time for that this year.
In addition to a baby at home, my “cold” last year turned into the flu and pneumonia and the mere thought of getting a cold is like striking a raw nerve. So when I began to get that tickle in the back of my throat with body aches, I used EVERYTHING in the book (and then some) to fight back! So this list is based solely on my personal experience, but it worked! In the past, I too would surrender to the cold and wait for it to pass. There are countless tips for staying well and fighting a cold but here’s what worked for me:
1) Elderberry syrup. It is used as an anti-viral, anti-bacterial supplement. As prevention, I take one teaspoon every few days but once symptoms present themselves, I took 2 teaspoons daily
2) Vitamin C! Emergen-C packets, 2-3 times per day
3) Fresh ginger tea. I boiled about 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Ginger is used to promote sweating and thereby expel the cold pathogen in the Chinese material medica.
4) Oscillococcium. This is an over-the-counter homeopathic remedy. It’s used for cold and flu symptoms. I didn’t think I had the flu again this year, but you could never be sure….
5) Acupuncture and cupping. I always get aches in my neck and upper back with a cold. Cupping is a manual technique to “release the exterior” in TCM. In other words, it used to expel the cold from the muscle layer. Acupuncture is used in a similar fashion.
6) Chinese herbs. There is a whole chapter in the Chinese material medica about fighting cold symptoms. I used a basic formula that matched my symptoms and made some modifications to support my immune system.
Thoughts? Share with me!