Summer colds make you feel miserable and can linger for days or weeks. They can ruin your plans to enjoy the season. Chinese medicine takes a holistic approach to cold prevention and treatment. Rather than worry about viruses and bacteria, it is best to focus on fortifying ourselves so that these invaders are not able to take hold.
Letting the Body Fight Summer Colds Naturally
There are several things you can do to help your body fight off a summer cold naturally. They include:
- Maintain Your Qi
Qi, or healing energy, should be maintained in abundance. That means avoiding overdoing it, eating properly, and making sure you are getting sufficient rest.
- Eat Well Every Day
Food has a powerful influence over your body’s ability to heal and remain balanced. Stick to regular small meals and avoid over-consuming chilled, frozen, or raw foods.
- Take Care of Your Lungs
Lungs are an essential component within your immune system. They are also the first area to experience illness. Perform deep breathing exercises and make sure you rest your voice as needed.
Holistic Treatment for a Summer Cold
What should you do if you already have a summer cold?
- Avoid dairy, ice, and sugar. These foods suppress immunity and produce phlegm.
- Enjoy homemade chicken soup with garlic in the broth.
- Try a natural bee pollen throat spray to relieve discomfort without chemicals.
- Take Echinacea and Goldenseal. Increase potency by taking as an alcohol-based tincture.
- Promote circulation and waste elimination with acupuncture.
Chinese medicine provides us many ways to prevent and treat summer colds. Contact Michigan Associates of Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine today to make an appointment and learn more about holistic treatment options.
Leave a Reply