Top 5 ways to reduce stress at your desk
- Take a few deep breaths. Deep breathing calms the nervous system and helps to get out of the “fight or flight” mode.
- Keep your blood sugar stable by eating 5 small meals daily (preferably balanced – with a carbohydrate, protein, and fat at each meal). Also be sure to stay hydrated. Keep water at your desk so that you get in the habit of drinking it often.
- Take a proverbial “smoke break”. Leave the office for 5 minutes. Step outside and get some fresh air. Even take a short walk around your building – getting fresh air and blood flow is a great way keep your head in the game.
- Do a few quick stretches. Shoulder rolls, neck rolls, and putting your hands behind your back. These stretches are a good way to balance out the poor posture that can occur from chronic sitting.
- Create an intention for your day. The intention of peace, joy, or workability can block any stressors that may come your way.