When I tell someone I am an Acupuncturist, they respond with curiosity and questions! Below are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions in our clinic~
What is the goal of Acupuncture?
The goal of Acupuncture is to restore balance in our body by working with our body’s own Qi Energy. Acupuncture uses very thin, solid, sterile stainless steel needles to “activate” specific acupuncture points throughout the body, restoring balance and order to the Qi energy.
What is Qi? (pronounced chee)
Qi is a life force or energy that is in our body and in the universe. It is an invisible force known by its effect. We cannot see Qi. Qi underlies organic life in our body. Qi is the source of all movement in the body. Qi protects the body. Qi travels throughout the body via pathways called meridians.
What are Meridians?
Meridians are channels that move the flow of Qi, blood and fluids throughout the body. Every organ has a meridian that transports the Qi energy to and from the organ. The goal of acupuncture is to balance the Qi energy so that it flows freely throughout all the meridians. Like Qi, you cannot see the meridians.
What does Acupuncture do and what is the goal of Acupuncture?
Acupuncture gathers qi, blood and fluids to ensure the proper function of the muscles, nerves, vessels, organs and tissues. The goal of acupuncture is to restore balance and health through an even and plentiful flow of Qi, blood and fluids.
Does Acupuncture hurt?
The short answer is NO! The needles are so thin that, most often, you don’t feel anything when one is inserted. At times, there may be a slight aching feeling which lasts for a second or two. Once the needles are all in, you won’t feel anything. What you will feel is relaxed and, after a session, rejuvenated!
Do you reuse the needles?
No. The needles are sterile, disposable and used only one time. They are disposed of in biohazard containers.
What is acupuncture treat?
Acupuncture supports our body in healing. It is good for many health conditions including:
- Musculoskeletal: acupuncture and chronic pain, recovery from injury, muscle pain or strain, arthritis, joint inflammation, recovery from surgery, surgery prevention
- Women’s Health: Menstrual disorders, fertility, menopause, peri-menopause, pregnancy, labor support and post partum care.
- Men’s Health: Fertility, Urinary and prostrate.
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: IBS, GERD, gas, bloating, diarrhea and constipation.
- Respiratory and Cardiovascular disorders.
- Autoimmune Disorders
- + Anxiety, Depression, insomnia, fatigue, vertigo, TMJ, headaches and a whole lot more!
- PREVENTION! Acupuncture helps build a strong foundation for internal health and wellness!
How many treatments are needed?
This varies depending on the type of condition being treated. Usually after 3-4 treatments we can determine if Acupuncture will be helpful for you!
If you have any questions, or think Acupuncture may be for you, please give our office a call @ 248-737-7126 where one of our seasoned Acupuncturists will be happy to talk with you further!
Leave a Reply