Karen Propis Siegel (aka: Queen of Quick Cooking) and fellow acupuncturist in our practice has shared this recipe for the perfect summer broccoli salad.
It originated from a dear friend of hers, Rosie, who was a fantastic cook and baker. She gave of herself passionately and lived life with zest. Rosie’s memory is a blessing to all who knew her!
This recipe includes ingredients like raisins, sunflower seeds and toasted noodles for an added crunch! Whip this up in the spring and summer to stay cool and stay balanced with the seasons.
Nutrition Info for Broccoli
- Cooling effect on the body’s energy
- Bitter, pungent and sweet
- Clears heat and regulates water and qi circulation (keeps fluid and energy moving in the body!)
- Good for vision health
- Helps balances energy in the spleen and liver
- 31 calories, 6g carbs, 2.5g fiber, 1.5g sugar, 2.5g protein, 0.4g fat
- Cruciferous vegetable related to Brussels sprouts, cabbage and kale
- Can help prevent against cancer
- Excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin K & other minerals
- High folate content aiding healthy pregnancy
- Rich in antioxidants that support cell health
- May reduce inflammation
- Can help stabilize blood sugar
- Great for digestion & treating constipation
Rosie’s Broccoli Salad
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 cup mayonnaise can use light
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 TBSP red wine vinegar
- ½ cup small onion finely minced
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 pkg ramen noodles toasted on frying pan without grease
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
Mix mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and onion together by hand until smooth.
Pour dressing over broccoli.
Add raisins, ramen noodles sunflower seeds and cashews.
Toss until everything is coated.
To follow the Queen of Quick Cooking for many healthy and enjoyable recipes: