Why Hire a Doula?
For a Better Birth Experience!
– By Liza Barnes, Health Educator
Educating yourself about childbirth so you’re able to make informed decisions is a great way to increase your chances for a smooth labor. But you can’t possibly learn everything you might need to know. That’s where a doula comes in. A doula is a trained labor support person who provides emotional, physical, and informational support during pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum. She (they’re usually women) absolutely doesn’t replace medical caregivers or your birth partner, but rather complements them. There are many ways a doula can assist you, such as:
- helping you prepare your birth plan
- providing suggestions and exercises to help you have a more comfortable pregnancy
- explaining medical procedures
- providing emotional support
- suggesting and providing non-pharmacological pain relief techniques (massage, heat therapy, positioning)
- assisting with breastfeeding
- providing partner support
- working as an advocate so your birth plan is carried out [Read more…]